Sunday, November 28, 2010

Headlamps, more necessary than a flashlight?


So I was never much of a headlight guy until recently. If you are ever in the deep dark woods they become worth their weight in gold. So in the last few months I have collected a few.

I just picked up a few petzls, a black diamond, and the el cheapo energizer. The field test and reviews are coming. Prices can very, as can lumens so stay tuned.

But the question arises, are headlights have more utility then ? I realize that the flashlights have more options and are generally more versatile, but hands free is something we can't over look. What do you guys think?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. Traditionally I'm a follower of the headlight AND flashlight sect. But there are plenty of headlamps on the market (Petzl, for example) that you can really use as both a headlamp and handlight.

    I E.D.C. a Maglite XL100 along with this really neat Rayovac "Outdoor Extreme" model headlight. 1 Watt spot with 2 blue LED's and 1 red LED. Has this neat plastic slide on and slide off diffuser for all the settings. Runs on a single AA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using headlamps about 10 years ago after having to set up a tent in the dark (backpacked in). I've used them for working under a car, hunting, camping, running at night, and a bunch of other uses, and have no complaints. I carry 2 sets in my hunting pack, 1 which runs on AAs and a alternate packs of Cs for long use. It has multiple functions as well. Although I always carry a tactical flashlight, I find headlamps invaluable when 2 hands are needed for other work.

    ReplyDelete